Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Ventura Trumps Obama

All is not well in the universe . . .

"I will criticize President Obama on this level; it's a good thing I'm not president because I would prosecute every person that was involved in that torture. I would prosecute the people that did it. I would prosecute the people that ordered it. Because torture is against the law."

That's former Navy SEAL, professional wrestler and governor Jesse Ventura. Why is he making more sense than Obama?

Update: From the same interview (speaking on the topic of waterboarding):

"It's drowning. It gives you the complete sensation that you are drowning. It is no good, because you -- I'll put it to you this way, you give me a water board, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him confess to the Sharon Tate murders... "

7 comments:

  1. Because his calculation involves many less variables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes there shouldn't be a calculation at all, just a clear deliniation of right and wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I hope you are not saying what I think you are implying. So, how do we get Dick Cheney over to this dude's house?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sasha: So we've got saying, thinking, and implying. I'm gonna go ahead and say that I don't even think I understand what you are implying that I might be implying and/or saying. So go ahead and breathe easy on that one.

    I agree with Ian's comment wholeheartedly, but politics is often disgusting. And all politicians, even those who can clearly delineate between right and wrong, are part of politics. Take it or leave it.

    I was simply attempting to answer (to the best of my introspective ability) Ian's rhetorical question. Jesse Ventura suffers no political ramifications for making those statements. Obama is staring in the face of a collossal political distraction from the issues at hand--notably HEALTHCARE and energy. He also must consider the wretched and potentially politically damning spitefulness that would emanate from the GOP (looking at you John McCain). And then there's this, which bolsters the views of Mr. Obama's opponents.

    So yes, Obama has to make a calculation, as disgusting as that may seem. And he has to weigh more variables than Mr. Ventura. That's my take on why Jesse Ventura is "making more sense" than the President.

    On a personal note: Do I think torture is wrong? Yes. Do I think those that authorized it should be punished? Yes. I just refuse to pass judgement on the decision-maker at this point. Check back with me later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am proud of the monster i have created

    ReplyDelete
  6. alright, my two sense: that which is complex is made complex.

    my rallying cry: term limits for every politician. they will keep their influence and be largely deprived of the impulse to make sacrifices now for successes later (successes that, using history as a judge, rarely happen.)

    "i feel the battle's just begun . . .so i'm hopin', wishin' prayin' to keep my faith in you"

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/05/dissent-of-the-day-4.html#more

    ReplyDelete